Tackle Loaner Program
Want to go fishing?
We have created this Tackle Loaner Program to provide individuals, groups, and families with fishing equipment without requiring them to purchase gear. It is ideal for a family or individual wanting to give fishing a try before spending money on equipment. Whether a parent is seeking to introduce this recreational activity to children, or a seasoned angler needs to borrow a rod for some fishing fun, we want to help make it possible!
How Does it Work?
- This equipment is borrowed in the same way books are borrowed from the library. Those wanting to borrow equipment must come to the Cornelius Parks & Recreation office located on the 2nd floor of Cornelius Town Hall, 21445 Catawba Ave., though feel free to call us before you come: 704-892-6031 x160. Regular office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m., except holidays. Equipment must be picked up and returned to this office during office hours.
- Customers MUST present a current drivers license.
- Customers MUST complete the Tackle Loaner Program Agreement EACH time rods/tackle are checked out.
- Rods and tackle are available for free checkout to adults only (18 years or older), though minors can use the equipment with adult checkout and supervision.
- Maximum of 2 fishing rods/1 tackle to be checked out per adult
- Maximum 3-day checkout; NO BACK-TO-BACK RENEWALS
- At the end of the loan period, the equipment must be returned to the Cornelius Parks & Recreation office in the same condition it was in when loaned out. It is expected that routine maintenance will be taken care of by the borrower, such as changing or adding line to reels and removing knots.
- Borrowing the equipment is free, but restitution fees will be assessed if rods/tackle are lost or damaged:
- Fishing rod - $20 per rod if lost or damaged
- Tackle box - $20 per tackle box if lost or damaged
Fishing License Information
- Anyone 16 and above MUST have a North Carolina fishing license to fish in North Carolina waterways, including town parks.
- A fishing license can be purchased online or at most Walmart stores, among other locations.
- For more information about fishing licenses, visit North Carolina Wildlife or call them at 888-248-6834.
Nearby Public Fishing
- Town of Cornelius park ponds:
- Robbins Park - 17738 W Catawba Ave (catch & release only)
- Mecklenburg County parks with access to Lake Norman:
- Jetton Park - 19000 Jetton Rd
- Ramsey Creek Park - 18441 Nantz Rd
- Blythe Landing - 15901 NC 73 Hwy
Closest Locations for Live Bait
- Exxon Gas Station - 19128 W Catawba Ave, Cornelius
- Cashion’s Quik Stop - 16600 NC-73, Huntersville
For more information please contact the Cornelius Park and Recreation Department at 704-892-6031 ext. 160.