The application process from start to finish takes approximately eight (8) to twelve (12) weeks to complete. This is all dependent upon a lot of different factors. The application process can take longer and of course is just an estimation. This timeline can be accelerated if the applicant completes the application materials promptly and accurately.
Please visit the North Carolina Department of Justice website for more information on minimum standards.
- Minimum requirements for employment
- Preliminary screening of candidate applications based on qualifications
- Initial interview with Recruiting Officer and explanations of working conditions
- Interview with the Captains
- Interview with the Chief of Police and/or his designee
- Conditional offer
- Psychological assessment, medical examination, and drug screen
- Comprehensive background investigation
- Competitive starting salary - $41,700 (BLET certified, no experience)
- Starting salary for BLET cadet - $37,910
- Incentives for experience and education
- Medical, Dental and Vision – 100% covered by Town for employee (50% covered by Town for dependent/s)
- 401k and Retirement contributions by Town
- Vacation days earned – 80 hours (less than 5 years of service)
- Sick Leave – 96 hours a year
- Holiday Leave – 11 days observed
- Tuition Reimbursement – Up to $2,000 a year
- Take home car program within 20 miles of town limits (subject upon availability)
- Fitness center within Police Department
- Sign-on Bonus
- All uniforms and equipment provided
If you are interested in applying with the Cornelius Police Department, please complete the Interest Card.