To meet a critical community need during the COVID-19 crisis and the current North Carolina remote learning plans, the Cornelius PARC Department is offering a new program, PARCplus, a full-day experience that blends each child’s online school curriculum with full-day supervision and limited camp-like activities.
Goals & Objectives
- Provide a safe, positive, and structured learning environment for students entering grades 1-6
- Provide full-day care (traditional school-day plus afterschool hours) for families and parents in need
- Encourage positive learning opportunities in a structured environment, with program supervision provided by Cornelius PARC Department staff
- Follow federal, state, and local health and safety guidance in the operation of programs, activities, and other events, to help reduce or prevent the spread of COVID-19
Program & Registration Details
- For children who will be in 1st-6th grade - now expanded to include 6th graders!
- Maximum 21 children per week
- Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Cornelius Arts Center, 19725 Oak Street, Unit 1
- Registration by the week, $125 per child per week for Cornelius residents, and $175 per child per week for non-residents. Residency may be subject to verification. (NOTE: PARC+ will NOT meet on Veterans Day, November 11, so that week's camp fee will be prorated to $100 per child per week for Cornelius residents and $140 per week for non-residents). For PARC+ starting the week of November 2, registration will also be offered by the day at $25 per child per day for Cornelius residents and $35 per child per day for non-residents.
- Limited scholarships available for Cornelius residents
- Masks, fully charged laptops or tablets, headsets or earbuds, and school supplies are required
Great news! Registration is now open for PARC+ through December 18! Due to CMS’s new schedule format beginning November 2, registrations for November and December will be offered by the week and by the day - your choice!
Questions & Answers
Who is the target audience for PARCplus?
The program is for elementary students in grades 1-6. Eligible students include those enrolled in area public schools, charter schools, or private schools.
Will my child need to bring his/her own supplies?
Students must provide all necessary supplies and materials including, but not limited to laptop computers or tablets, earphones, and any other materials necessary for participation in scheduled classes. Additionally, all students must have access, with log-in information, to a complete educational program or curriculum provided by their public school, charter school, or private school. All students MUST wear masks while indoors and when outdoors if social distancing cannot be maintained.
Is this a weekly or monthly program? Can I register for all the weeks or can I choose the weeks?
We recognize that some families do not need every week due to intermittent work-from-home vs. office schedules, travel, etc. If you are chosen from the lottery, when we contact you, you will be given the opportunity to choose the weeks for your eligible children to attend from those available at that time. You can choose any or all available when it is your turn.
My child only attends school in person a couple of days during the week. Can I just register by the day for PARC+?
Yes! CMS is beginning an A/B in-person learning plan starting the week of November 2, so starting that same week, we will also offer registration by the day. Choose only the day or days each week that you need!
When is payment due?
Full payment for all registered weeks is due upon registration.
Are there discounts for multiple children in the same family or multiple weeks?
No, our pricing is already at the minimum cost that allows us to offer this program.
How does the scholarship program work?
If your child or children qualify for the CMS Lunch Assistance Program and you are Cornelius residents, you would qualify for our scholarships. Scholarship applications must be accompanied by supporting documentation, such as the CMS Lunch Assistance approval letter. Approximately 20% of our PARCplus spaces will be available for scholarships. Please call or email us for any other questions regarding scholarships.
What if I don't live in Cornelius?
All are welcome, though non-residents will pay a higher weekly or daily fee and are not eligible for scholarships.