To meet a critical community need during the COVID-19 crisis and the current North Carolina remote learning plans, the Cornelius PARC Department is considering a new program, PARCplus, a full-day experience that will blend each child’s online school curriculum with full-day supervision and limited camp-like activities.
Goals & Objectives
- Provide a safe, positive, and structured learning environment for students entering grades 1-6
- Provide full-day care (traditional school-day plus afterschool hours) for families and parents in need
- Encourage positive learning opportunities in a structured environment, with program supervision provided by Cornelius PARC Department staff
- Follow federal, state, and local health and safety guidance in the operation of programs, activities, and other events, to help reduce or prevent the spread of COVID-19
Program & Registration Details
- For children who will be in 1st-5th grade
- Maximum 30 children per week
- Monday-Friday, 7:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
- Cornelius Arts Center, 19725 Oak Street, Unit 1
- Registration by the week, $125 per child per week for Cornelius residents, and $175 per child per week for non-residents. Residency may be subject to verification. (NOTE: PARC+ will NOT meet on Labor Day, September 7, so that week's camp fee will be prorated to $100 per child per week for Cornelius residents and $140 per week for non-residents).
- Limited scholarships available
- Masks, fully charged laptops or tablets, headsets or earbuds, and school supplies are required
- Currently, we are only offering registration for six (6) weeks, August 24, through Friday,
October 2, NOW THROUGH OCTOBER 9 - though we hope to be able to offer additional weeks. As soon as that information is available, we will let you know!
Questions & Answers
Who is the target audience for PARCplus?
The program is being developed for elementary students who will enter grades 1-6 in the fall semester of 2020. Eligible students include those enrolled in area public schools, charter schools, or private schools.
Will my child need to bring his/her own supplies?
Students must provide all necessary supplies and materials including, but not limited to laptop computers or tablets, earphones, and any other materials necessary for participation in scheduled classes. Additionally, all students must have access, with log-in information, to a complete educational program or curriculum provided by their public school, charter school, or private school. All students MUST wear masks while indoors and when outdoors if social distancing cannot be maintained.
Is this a weekly or monthly program? Can I register for all the weeks or can I choose the weeks?
We recognize that some families do not need every week due to intermittent work-from-home vs. office schedules, travel, etc. If you are chosen from the lottery, when we contact you, you will be given the opportunity to choose the weeks for your eligible children to attend from those available at that time. You can choose any or all available when it is your turn.
When is payment due?
Full payment for all registered weeks is due upon registration.
What happens beyond October 2?
Parents of children already enrolled for at least four (4) of the first seven (7) weeks will have a right of first reservation for October. Please note that terms are subject to change as conditions change, so there is no guarantee the program will continue, though PARC will strive to keep the program operating as practically possible.
Are there discounts for multiple children in the same family or multiple weeks?
No, our pricing is already at the minimum cost that allows us to offer this program.
How does the scholarship program work?
If your child or children qualify for the CMS Lunch Assistance Program and you are Cornelius residents, you would qualify for our scholarships. Scholarship applications must be accompanied by supporting documentation, such as the CMS Lunch Assistance approval letter. Approximately 20% of our PARCplus spaces will be available for scholarships. Please call or email us for any other questions regarding scholarships.
What if I don't live in Cornelius?
Priority registration will be offered to Cornelius residents with non-residents eligible to register if space allows. Non-residents will pay a higher weekly fee.