Team Assignments, Practices & Games
TEAM ASSIGNMENTSWe will consider any special requests made regarding team assignments, practice night preferences, etc., but we CANNOT GUARANTEE that we will be able to honor such requests. Special requests can be made as a Transaction Note during online registration, written on a registration form, called in to the Cornelius Parks & Recreation (CPRD) office. Once the draft has occurred, no players will be moved to another team. At the conclusion of the league draft, coaches will receive a copy of their team roster. Coaches should contact their team by Monday, November 22. Practices begin the week of November 29.
2021-22 Basketball Draft Schedule 2021-22 Basketball Draft Rules
One of this season’s program modifications will be parents providing skills assessments of their children in lieu of in-person skills evaluations (“skills days”). This modification will reduce in-person gatherings for staff, volunteer coaches, players, and their families.
Please rate your child on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being very skilled at basketball, experienced in league play, and/or a strong knowledge of the sport, and 1 being unskilled or low-skilled at basketball, new to league play, and/or little to no knowledge of the sport.
Coaches and their assistant coaches will still have their children drafted to their teams. Siblings will also be drafted to the same team. These assignments will be in place automatically unless otherwise communicated as a transaction note during the registration process.
There will be a league draft, which will be conducted one age division at a time. Details regarding dates and the times will be distributed prior to the coach’s meetings. All draft rules and procedures will also be discussed at the coach’s meeting. At the conclusion of the league draft, coaches will receive a copy of their team roster by the close of business on Friday, November 19. Coaches should notify all of their participants by Monday, November 22.
CPRD and DPRD reserve the right to modify the Team Assignment process as needed. Team Assignment protocols and procedures are subject to change based upon total registration.
Please be aware of the following facts:
- CPRD & DPRD WILL consider special requests made regarding team assignments, practice night preferences, etc. but ultimately this is a drafted league and team assignments are selected by the coaches during the draft process. Therefore, we CANNOT guarantee we will or can honor any of the above requests.
- Our refund policy remains in place, regardless of whether or not your special request was accommodated.
- Practice schedules will be distributed to all coaches no later than Friday, November 19.
- Coaches will then contact their players no later than Monday, November 22.
- Team practices for divisions ages 7 and up will begin the week of Monday, November 29.
- Practices will not take place during the CMS Winter Break, December 20-31. Practices will resume on Monday, January 3.
- League games for all divisions, ages 7 and up, are scheduled to begin Saturday, December 11.
- Games will not take place during the CMS Winter Break, December 25 and January 1. Games will resume on Saturday, January 8.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION (Ages 5-6)
Instructional Division participants will be notified of their team assignment and team schedule in late December.
Practices/games for the Instructional Division are scheduled to begin on Saturday, January 8, and end on Saturday, February 26. Practices/games will begin with 20 minutes of instruction, followed by a 5 minute water break, then 20 minutes of game play each Saturday. There are no weekday practices for this age division.
In preparation for youth basketball, staff continues to assess how to conduct sports programs in the safest manner possible in accordance with the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services’(NCDHHS) Interim Guidance for Administrators of Youth and Amateur Sports Programs (August 6, 2021), Mecklenburg County Board of Health Rule (September 12, 2021), and Charlotte-Mecklenburg Board of Education Policy CFC 9142021 (September 14, 2021).
- At this time, due to Mecklenburg County and CMS requirements, all players, coaches, spectators, referees, etc., must wear a mask while indoors unless a medical or behavioral condition or disability exception applies. Face coverings will be required when entering any building for the program.