Team Assignments, Practices & Games
We will consider any special requests made regarding team assignments, practice night preferences, etc., but we CANNOT GUARANTEE that we will be able to honor such requests. Special requests can be made as a Transaction Note during online registration, written on a registration form, called in to the Cornelius Parks & Recreation (CPRD) office. Once the draft has occurred, no players will be moved to another team. At the conclusion of the league draft, coaches will receive a copy of their team roster. Coaches should contact their team by Monday, November 20. Practices begin the week of November 27.
The 2023-24 draft nights will be held November 14-16, with a detailed schedule and draft rules coming soon.
When registering, parents will provide skills assessments of their children in lieu of in-person skills evaluations (“skills days”).
Please rate your child on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being very skilled at basketball, experienced in league play, and/or a strong knowledge of the sport, and 1 being unskilled or low-skilled at basketball, new to league play, and/or little to no knowledge of the sport.
Coaches and their assistant coaches will still have their children drafted to their teams. Siblings will also be drafted to the same team. These assignments will be in place automatically unless otherwise communicated as a transaction note during the registration process.
There will be a league draft, which will be conducted one age division at a time. Details regarding dates and the times will be distributed prior to the coach’s meetings. All draft rules and procedures will also be discussed at the coach’s meeting. At the conclusion of the league draft, coaches will receive a copy of their team roster by the close of business on Friday, November 18. Coaches should notify all of their participants by Monday, November 20.
CPRD and DPRD reserve the right to modify the Team Assignment process as needed. Team Assignment protocols and procedures are subject to change based upon total registration.
Please be aware of the following facts:
- CPRD & DPRD WILL consider special requests made regarding team assignments, practice night preferences, etc. but ultimately this is a drafted league and team assignments are selected by the coaches during the draft process. Therefore, we CANNOT guarantee we will or can honor any of the above requests.
- Our refund policy remains in place, regardless of whether or not your special request was accommodated.
- Practice schedules will be distributed to all coaches no later than Friday, November 17.
- Coaches will then contact their players no later than Monday, November 20.
- Team practices for divisions ages 7 and up will begin the week of Monday, November 27.
- Practices will not take place during the CMS Winter Break, December 18 -January 2. Practices will resume on Wednesday, January 3.
- League games for all divisions are scheduled to begin Saturday, December 9.
- Games will not take place during the CMS Winter Break, December 23, and 30. Games will resume on Saturday, January 6.
Teams in Girls 7-8 and Boys 7-8 divisions are tentatively scheduled to participate in ten (10) league games with no post-season tournament. Teams in all other divisions are tentatively scheduled to participate in eight (8) league games and a single-elimination, post-season tournament.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION (ages 5-6)
Instructional Division participants will be notified of their team assignment and team schedule in late November.
Practices/games for the Instructional Division are scheduled to begin on Saturday, December 9, and end on Saturday, February 10. Strictly instructional and fun, meeting once weekly on Saturdays for 45 minutes (no weeknight practices).